PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 20:22
Danny42C

Rename.

Chugalug,

Thank you for your kind and gracious words of praise for the achievements of my age-group, but I must take issue with my : "concept that you have always decried, that of the unique importance of your generation" .

This goes to the heart of the thing. Far better than I could have put the point, the D.Tel. obituarist expressed it as: "They were ordinary men who did extraordinary things", and this was trumped with Wg.Cdr. "Bob" Doe's: "We do not wish to be remembered as heroes"...."We only wish to be remembered for what we did".

Our generation was certainly of "unique importance", but we were only unique in the sense that we happened to be there when the balloon went up - not for any unique quality in ourselves. A later generation of Britons would have done just as well in the circumstances, I'm sure (just as our fathers had done before us).

Turning to the matter of a possible 'rename', I think that adding "and the Cold War" will take it 46 years on ('45 to '91) before somebody else has to worry about it ! I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Now you've caused neither hiccup or trouble. "Free and frank discussion" has always been a feature of our Crewroom (although it sometimes means "a good punch-up" - which of course will never happen here). As for the crewroom itself, it was here when I arrived, I did not create it, I may have added a topic or two to it, I leave it flourishing. I am gratified that you are granting me Emeritus status (and a comfortable chair near the stove) in it. Perhaps I may be allowed to dig out my old pipe, and combat the fag-smoke with the fragrance of "Balkan Sobranie"? (and to bring in a tinnie or two of soi-disant "Draught" Guinness ? - as Eight Hours from Bottle to Throttle no longer applies to me).

Cheers, Danny.