PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulfstream to announce new jet Oct 14 2014
Old 20th Oct 2014, 17:29
Astra driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joseph,

OK apology issued, I'm a knob. I wanted to address your complaints more specifically but was short on time.

The BPT you get switching from GPU to APU is really a non-issue since it is seldom ever required except in some European airports where there is an APU time limit, if that happens refer to the OIS that tells you to start the APU without the GEN, start at least one engine to get one IDG online and then a no break power transfer from the GPU can be accomplished. I personally have never had to do this yet as the folks at LFPB tell me there is an exemption to the time limit if "no GPU Is available", (handler says as he gives the classic French shrug)

No RAT auto deploy, having to push the GEN off, then on again? I think this is done out of an abundance of caution to preserve what would be in this situation your last continuous power supply left. But since you have 3 GEN's (any one of which is capable of running the entire plane) that would have to crap out before this would happen, (exception being L Main bus fault) the likelyhood of ever actually getting to this point in real life is statistically small, and it if you ever did the fact that you would need to push a couple of buttons and have to hand fly for a bit would be the least of your concerns.

No auto Start? Well if you mean having to wait until you see positive LP rotation before moving the Fuel control switch to "Run", everything is fully automated and protected by the FADEC after that. Really, what's the big deal about having to do that? Personally I think it's a good thing as it keeps the crew more involved in the start process and increases the likelihood of avoiding a start anomaly.

No "Auto" ground spoilers? A bit of a misnomer here as the Ground Spoilers do deploy automatically, but yes, you are required to arm them on line up with at least one throttle "cracked", and yes this step could be avoided by having then linked to a minimum tire or ground speed, but I suspect this was not done as this feature could be one more thing to potentially fail and subsequently cause dispatch ability problems. In day to day operations it really is a non-issue;
"Ground Spoilers", "Do you have one up?", "Yes", "Spoilers armed, speeds boxed, EICAS clear".

"Most antiquated Pressurization system ever"?
Okay, you have me stumped here, a fully automated system which requires virtually no input from the crew other than to verify it's in AUTO and a couple of pre-flight checks of the back up systems. A system that also provides what is probably the highest pressurization differential (10.69psi) in Aviation resulting in a cabin altitude of 4,850 ft at FL510 or slightly over 3,000ft at typical low 40's cruise altitudes and has full redundancy and multiple back up modes.

"G650 takes 20 minutes longer to preflight than BD700"
I find that with a competent Co-Pilot I can have the 650 ready to go in about 15 to 20 minutes, usually the limiting factor here is how long it takes to Fuel or more often how long the FA needs to get ready.
I can see where crew new to the aircraft will need more time to prepare and I think part of the problem here is the way the checklist is written, it bares no resemblance to a logical flow pattern and can trip up crews new to the airplane.
Add to this the incorrect rumors that you can't turn on the FBW system or the GCMS until the IRU's are aligned. (The IRU's just need to be switched ON first, it's OK if they are still aligning).

I'm sure folks here can find other "Short comings" to list, but the point is every Aircraft has its strong and weak points. I've never flown a Bombardier product but I'm sure I would list its strong points and look past its weak points if I had.