PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 11:37
soggyboxers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitchaa,

Yes, having been non-resident in Uk for more than 20 years, I always make sure I stay up to date with UK tax laws.

If the company you're looking at does pay tax on your behalf legally, then they also need to tell you how to obtain a tax certificate to prove that they have, otherwise, you'll just pay full UK tax on all your earnings. If they do pay your UK tax for you, then this is also taxable as a benefit in kind if it's done legally and is paid into a bank account in a reputable country.

For me, the UK has been just a holiday destination for a few weeks a year for many years. About 20 years ago I used to own a house in France and spent much of my time there. Other friends have spent most of the money they saved in renting places in France or Spain so that they didn't spend much time in UK, but that can also be disruptive for a family. The only way really is to look for an accompanied job overseas and they're more difficult to come by than in the past. Nigeria only pays as much as it does because that's the only way many people can be persuaded to go there.