PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - £110k+ EZY MPL scheme
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 09:58
WhyByFlier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
join the wannabe line of kids, get a loan and go play with our FMGC! We have bought cakies for you! (sorry, candles are fake!)
Call me thick but I haven't a clue what your bitter post is saying. I have 4500 hours flying the A320 - I'm far from a wannabe or in a line.

4468, you raise a good point. In my experience there are 4 main reasons why people become a pilot:

1. For the raw love of flying planes.
2. To travel.
3. For the status.
4. For the perception that pilots are loaded.

I became a pilot solely for point 1 and thus I'm very happy with the job, easyJet (who offer fantastic flying) and the prospect of doing this as my career until retirement. You can never be perfect in this game, there's immediate feedback as to your performance and the work IS meaningful. People who chose it for 2 become VERY frustrated in an airline like easyJet and usually allow their thoughts to get them into a position of divorce, few friends and a middle eastern owned villa. People in 3 and 4 are suffered daily, have little interest in the practicality, responsibility or flexibility the job requires. They end out with terrible names and being the subject of cockpit FM in the regional bases!

Ultimately your role and career in BA sound fantastic and it's excellent for you that you've enjoyed it so much. Hopefully BA can continue to offer that career to many more for a long time to come.

As for whether someone chooses to spend 109K on training with EZY or 94K with BA - well, that's there choice. And it's what makes this world go economically around. Thinking that you should control them or tell them what they can or can't do, just because it's 'unfair' on you is madness. Just as some people are born beautiful and can model for millions of pounds a year, and some are born with the 'x factor' and can get away with being a revolting plank whilst earning millions a year - some are born with generous parents, a wealthy background, the perseverance to carry on, keep trying and find a way and some are not. We all make our choices and need to accept that we live with the consequences. It is for us to invest in ourselves, not anyone else first. The majority who are expecting airlines, banks and the evil FTOs to cheapen prices are the least willing to back themselves and invest in their future - I wonder why. It's in the same vein as the benefits culture. I've seen too many people with nothing achieve everything to have sympathy with those that don't. And being an airline pilot, doctor, lawyer, genius, beautiful, good at football or able to sing is no one's right - it takes preparation, dedication, a large amount of risk taking, genetics and opportunity to come together! It doesn't take some lefty, social engineering, unnatural 'I know what's best for everyone' approach that people like Nick Clegg try to impose.