PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ILS DME
Thread: ILS DME
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 09:35
flyburg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De facto,

Thanks for reply!!

I did look at the legend and found it to be confusing! I did bring it up with the flight department and they are looking into it .

To me if the header says, for example, ILS+DME than the DME is required, if it merely says ILSDME than it becomes more confusing! Annex 6 says that only the navigation device providing lateral guidance should be mentioned in the header. Other navigation devices required should be mentioned in the plan view under a note. It seems lido makes a mistake in this sense according to me. Further more, reviewing many charts LIDO also seems to be inconsistent in that sometimes it designates some ILS's with a DME in the minima box when it doesn't say ILSDME in the header and sometimes it has merely ILS in the header with an ILS that has DME and it states DME in the minima box!!

I forwarded the question to the flight department and they are looking into it, however, I wanted to get some input from fellow proffesionals!!

My company comes out with a scenario each month to think about. The scenario was, you are flying to Ams and the only ALT is EHEH, the WX is right at LOC minima(or any NPA) but the DME is inop. EHEH is a cat 1 field so in order to plan it you need NPA mins. So do you in the planning phase need the DME to be operative? Or can you use FMS to substitute for the inop DME? Further more, in actually diverting and flying the ILS can you do this or do you need the DME to be operative?? In my opinion, when flying any ILS you need an OM or equivalent position, the question is? How do you determine equivalent position? To me FMS is adequate to determine equivalent position!!

Like I said, I wanted to get some input

Last edited by flyburg; 20th Oct 2014 at 09:53.