PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time Limits!
Thread: Time Limits!
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 08:26
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about the "value" of the first flying time I had. I can still remember my first flight, and being allowed to fly the 150, back about 1974. Do I remember what I learned on that flight? Yup, some of it! So it did, and continues to have some value for me. Though, I have since overlaid that with a lot more experience.

Currency? Well, that's somewhat type and experience dependent. The longest I have ever not flown since starting training in 1976 would be once of three months, otherwise never longer than a month. But, on the extreme of being current, I was asked a year or so back to fly a maintenance test flight on a Tiger Moth, having not flown one (nor anything like it) since 1980. And I trained a new owner in a Bellanca Viking, having only flown one for an hour 20 years earlier. I carefully read the flight manual before flying that.

I once asked my insurer how little I would have to fly in a year, before they would actually worry about my skills waning - ten hours a year was the answer - but that would be ten hours flying anything, not type specific.

So yes, the time you flew many years ago will still "count" for your knowledge and sense of being comfortable in the plane, but at best, it'll make your re-entry to piloting a little quicker. But the object of flying, is to fly, so who cares whether you get "credit" for it anyway, you want to be flying in any case! 'Worst is you fly a few more hours on the pre, rather than post side of your PPL...