PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is going on at EK
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2014, 06:44
Neptune Spear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is going on at EK

While pondering the going ons at Emirates with some buddies we had some questions we couldn't answer so I'm throwing it out on pprune.

A-380s
11 airlines have the 380 (not including the 2 airlines that just received theirs last week) and 10 of those airlines have varying degrees of dislike, to we wish we didnt buy them, to cant wait to get rid of the airplane. None of those 10 airlines are going to buy anymore.
One airline (guess which one) loves the airplane and can't get enough of them. I know we are not industry leaders when it comes to pay and conditions but what is the big difference? Why does Emirates love it when the vast majority of the industry dislike it? It will be interesting to see how the other two gulf carriers who just received them like the Big Bird.

Money
Emirates is very profitable but when compared to,some of the US carriers you have to wonder where all the money is going.
AA made about $2.4 Billion in a quarter (yes that is B for billion and yes that is for a 90 day period), UAL made approx $1.7 B and Delta brought up the rear with Only $1.3 B.
Emirates with their 13% labor costs, fantastic aircraft utility rate, no government agency to regulate them and no labor unions made $1 Billion in a whole year. Where is all the money going?
Is this the reason the company is squeezing us so hard so more money can go out the back door?

I joined almost two years ago and it has been a constant slide to the bottom. I know pilots that have been here longer has experienced a much steeper and drastic decline. How much more are they going to turn the screws on us?
We are most definitely underpaid and overworked. A dangerous cocktail going forward. What is this airline going to look like in a year? Not a pretty site.