PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MQ-9 Reaper Designation?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 21:30
HAS59

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear as mud ...

I am indebted to Lynxman for his guidance with regards to current regulations ...

Oh how I wished I hadn't bothered. Life was so much more simple when we had rules.

Now we have 'guidance' and things that 'should' be done (not must be done)

If I have got this right ... we now have

Military Aviation Authority

Part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), the MAA is an independent and autonomous organization responsible for the regulation, surveillance, inspection and assurance of the Defence Air operating and technical domains. It ensures the safe design and use of military air systems.

Military Aviation Authority Regulation 5307 (Identification of Materiel)

5307(1) A military aircraft shall beidentified by:

a. Name or designation.
b. A letter or group of letters to indicate the operational role(s).
c. Mark number.

5307(2) Mark or Model Numbers

A major change of design which affects the operational or functional value of materiel, or its interchangeability, shall be identified by the introduction of a new mark or model and NATO number.

Aircraft : Proposals for changes in role letters or mark numbers of Service aircraft should be submitted with full supporting details to the PTL.
(Project Team Leaders)

So we have a body which is 'independent ' but still a part of the MOD ... aye right.

We still have no authoritative list as to what things are supposed to be called. It looks as these guidelines are there in part to ensure NATO nations know their AN- designations are still in use.

Maybe we should invite the Joint Services Recognition Journal to come back and actually tell us all what things are called.

(I would still like someone to have a peek at QR's in the morning though)