PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook DFC Award
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 15:29
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
The award of medals will always be somewhat relative to the conflict that we find ourselves in; I don't mean this as a slight to those with DFCs from modern day conflicts but go back 75 years and you'd probably find that their acts of bravery would not get the same recognition as in WW2 when we were losing crews left right and centre
It may interest those following this thread to see the figures for WW2 awards. My source is British Gallantry Awards by Abbott & Tamplin.

DFC - 20,354, first bars 1,550, second bars 42*
DFM - 6,637, first bars 60, second bar 1

Equivalent army and navy awards are as follows

MC - 10,386, First bars 482, second bars 24
MM - 15,225, first bars 164, second bar 2

DSC - 4525, first bars 434, second bars 44, third bar 1
DSM - 7132, first bars 153, second bars 4, third bar 1

It can be seen that the DFC was in fact the most frequently awarded gallantry medal of WW2. Similar to A-P's remark, I also do not in any way wish to denigrate the WW2 awards, but it has to be admitted that the RAF of the time was not slow to recognise gallantry among its aircrew.

* I would assume that the Google source quoted by Heathrow Harry which lists 22 recipients of the second bar has probably only given a selection. I believe the figure of 42 I have quoted is likely to be correct as Abbott & Tamplin is generally accepted as "The Bible" in matters of gallantry medals