PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 09:53
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Danny, as I wasn't there I can't vouch for the veracity of the tale other than to say that one part of the Army or another always seems to have been the exception to any rule. Strangely, I can even recall the quoted name by which aforesaid batman was summoned when required, which was Ailes. A very rare example of recall, I might add.

That brings me to your other point, to which I can only say please don't do any mulling on my behalf. This thread has, subject as ever to Mod oversight, always been a democracy. I have said my piece, and such responses as there have been were all Cons, with nil Pros. It would seem the thread will continue on that basis. As to the title, we have driven so many coaches and so many teams of horses through it that I would suspect one more will make little difference. It will simply be as indicative of its content as the title of the game Mornington Crescent, and just as informative. A very British affair indeed!

Regarding the sordid money, or lack of it in my case, it came as great a surprise to me as to you that a grateful nation was not to reward me with a Service Pension after some 13 and a 1/2 years in the RAF. But sure enough the small print in QRs confirmed that as a PC who PVR'd before my 16/38 point, I was to get just enough gratuity to pay for the IRT. The Good Lord giveth with one hand and taketh with the other, as alway...

PS, I think it was Kenneth Williams who delivered that Shakespearean punch line and not Frankie Howard?

Last edited by Chugalug2; 19th Oct 2014 at 10:13.