PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TCX NCL and thoughts on 'tiredness'
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 08:39
hec7or

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I once had a LOC overshoot due to setting the incorrect course during the brief, the PM didn't spot it because he became distracted while I briefed.

Long sector and low arousal levels reduced the amount of "active listening" and the course I'd set looked very similar at first glance.

We asked for a 360 to re establish and the controller gave us a left turn onto a downwind heading, but when I pushed the HDG button, the FD commanded a turn to the right.

PM immediately requested a right turn rather than a left turn just as I was going onto raw data because we couldn't get the FD to command a turn to the left. Fortunately ATC were in a helpful mood and we landed without further trauma.

The modern emphasis on SOPs and standard calls doesn't leave much flexibility to think and act when the automatics don't do what you are expecting.

In this case, due to taking the FD out of VOR/LOC and going straight to HDG, the FD simply commanded the shortest turn, no amount of button pushing could persuade it to change its mind.

Last edited by hec7or; 19th Oct 2014 at 14:05.