PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 08:27
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LTNman

You make a very good point regarding the start dates of these new routes in June/July, plus the fact that they were not put on sale until April. I believe that was not the original plan and was always going to make 2014 more difficult.

Another point worth making is that the ATR42 rather than the 72 was the original intention for the launch of most, if not all, the routes. Indeed, at the initial presentations to airlines back in 2011 CFR was always presented as a daily route for a 50-seater rather than 70-seater for the first couple of years. I know some will point out that the larger aircraft has allowed lower lead-in fares to be offered, but not to as great an extent as would be the case of a 150-seater against a 70-seater for example.

Direct comparisons between August and September are indeed valid for GRQ, MST and FMO (which carried many more pax in both months than did the Cityjet service the previous year incidentally) but the ANR and RNS routes both had increased flight frequencies in September. CFR offered 25 rotations in August against 17 in September and the far better pax numbers/load factor in August might suggest that it is a route which needs a higher frequency to meet its particular market needs; especially for business users outside of the summer season.

In light of the above I think it is just too early to judge the potential of any of the routes except perhaps MST and the October figures may show some improvement - let's wait and see. Both RNS and CFR also now codeshare with AF which adds credibility to the operation in the eyes of the French market.