PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 07:52
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Davidjohnson6,
Thanks for the detailed analysis on performance. Stobart Air will need to stick with over the next year at least on the most of these routes, as being too risk averse will spell doom for the airports reputation and could serve as a deterrent to other carriers from coming in.

A few things strike me, I can see the wisdom of picking spots on the map where gaps exist and serve these routes to attract mainly inbound tourists. This shows that Stobart broadly has avoided the high volume routes where the most demand exists. However, it appears quite clear that easyJet is getting most of its traffic or rather it's most successful routes are those that serve the outbound market, being attractive mostly to the airports catchment. Eg AMS, FAO, ALC and the broader sun routes.

Stobart could experiment with some near points in Europe that could be of most interest to the locals. Sons research could be conducted. But points like Düsseldorf, Paris ( I accept Eurostar but other London Paris routes work ), and some French holiday routes for summer, Brest, Rennes etc.

My view is that the current strategy and route choices are difficult to develop due to lack of brand awareness.ie Flybe, for this reason selection routes that are to core or busier destinations could be marketed more effectively in the carchment - even if there are other airlines operating from the London area. I suspect the locals would like to fly from the local airports. Perhaps identifying the primary airports that FR do not serve ex STN that can be reached by 72 could a good start...