PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heart attack and Naproxen
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 05:08
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As to the mechanics of your event, big end, I'm happy to bow down to the expertise of my learned colleagues who have spoken. Some interesting stuff here:

Cardiovascular safety of Cox-2 inhibitors and non-selective NSAIDs : MHRA

Some stuff here, learning point for me, these suggest Naproxen is let off the hook...

High-dose NSAID painkiller heart risk: small but significant - Health News - NHS Choices

NSAID's have long been associated with difficulties, I seem to remember hearing that they were responsible for about 2000 deaths ("silent bleeds") in the elderly as long ago as 1986.

Then came along the all singing, all dancing "COX2 inhibitors" which basically killed people, so we all prescribed diclofenac, which, killed people.

So we prescribed ibuprofen, which interestingly is usually taken at a sub-therpaeutic level, it would seem that there is some iddle ground with naproxen.

In total agreement with Radgirl, Paracetamol is a much underrated, and underused effective painkiller. The key, of course, is to make sure that patients take it regularly and at the correct dose- all to often, prescribers are often too willing to "climb the analgesic" ladder, before exploring and exhausting the paracetamol route.

The problem with all this, is, that NSAId's do actually work very well at relieving pain and symptoms of inflammation- as my nurse prescribing tutor used to drum into us, rubor, calor, tumor, dolor.

In reality, prescribers do have to make some sort of compromise as their patient, (who never sem to fit into the nice boxes that medicines management and NICE type people have in their protocols and flowcharts), sits in front of you with his sore, throbbing, excruciatingly painful toe, his notes revealing that his eGFR is slightly low for a man of his age, and he does take the odd bit of omeprazole for indigestion. Or the elderly lady who's allergic to codeine, and finds her Rheumatic Arthritis ruins her life unless she takes her twice daily naproxen.

As ever, you can never say never, and never say always :-)