PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2014, 02:04
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Engineers are engineers...

Let's face it, Doze is a die hard engineer that designs and implements systems that may or may not have been tested or designed by the end user - the pilots. "Works according to the spec". So I throw the B.S. flag.

Many features of the 'bus system seem very logical and could/should reduce workload ( whatever that is for pilots). However, there comes a time or situation that the basic flight controls and aerodynamic response to control inputs and such must revert to basics that we saw a hundred years ago.

I do not feel we should go to a "direct" law post haste, as even that requires electrons from the flight controls to the control surface actuators. But the plethora of modes and sub-modes on the 'bus puzzle me. I can understand the argument that the system would degrade gracefully. But the reality is some things work, some don't and some can't. Sheesh. Give me a back up mode I can trust and not go thru ten pages of manuals, footnotes and .....!!

Tust me, I am not a dinosaur. I flew the first FBW jet produced in significant numbers ( no offence to Concorde folks). We learned a lot about the failures of the "engineers" that could not fathom the unplanned tests we normal pilots would expose to the jet to, heh heh.

I enjoyed the opportunity to fly the neat little jet, and I knew deep down that we would find some things that the engineers never thought of. And we did.