PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 22:42
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Commercial in confidence" - A double edged sword.

...or two!" Now that is what I'm talking about - love it "K"...

Eddie - "Are you happy with details of an audit rport being released publicaly"

Ah yes the old CIC argument that revealing disturbing findings (or not) in a Fort Fumble audit will be the straw that broke the camel's back and lead to severe financial hardship and ultimately closure is simply a crock...

If we lived in a world where the playing field was level and the game was played where the umpire's (instead of a judge, jury & executioner) primary role was to promote & foster the game, I made tend to agree with the concept of protecting potentially defamatory information on the principles of CIC. However sadly here in Oz that is not the case...

Classic examples are the Transair & PelAir cover-ups where past audits were attempted to be withheld (under the excuse of CIC) but ultimately revealed under FOI or under AAI investigation. In the 1st case the breaching of CIC may have contributed to that company's demise but in the 2nd?? Well did it lead to that company shutting shop, or losing contracts, or even affecting the profit by one iota of it's much more highly valued sister company??

Then there is the other side of the coin where CIC has been deployed but an AOC transgressor has been placed in the FF 'show cause' enforcement (embuggerance) process.

Barrier was a classic, where the operator did not or could not afford to continue to his/her penultimate day in Court/AAT hearing - i.e. done by the process. In the course of this long embuggerance the poor operator find themselves constantly being white anted by rumour & innuendo about what is contained in past routine audits. However due to the now legal process the AOC holder cannot reveal the true content of past audits to defend their previous & possibly good, solid, unblemished operating record...

No Eddie personally I have no issue with past audit reports being revealed, after all a good AOC holder should have nothing to hide and the bad ones...well???

IMO (and it is just my opinion) 'CIC immunity' is much like 'Diplomatic immunity' and should be revoked...

{Rumour on the Prof: The good Professor is reportedly now under some sort of conflict of interest cloud from his previous job as the Commonwealth Ombudsman....apparently it is related to a complaint that had its origins in the FF ICC office..}

Last edited by Sarcs; 18th Oct 2014 at 23:21.