PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar (Doha) ATC for new Airport
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 21:18
CuitoCuanavale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

In reference to the misnomer that Serco "had the Doha' contract - incorrect. It was a temporary service provision request to supply a set number of controllers for a specified time. The primary employer of ATC's for Doha was and still is QCAA.

There is some truth to the focus hiring by the Serco group ... the reasons are solely that of QCAA and only was a stipulation of the Serco hiring, which was for five posts only. This was a complete and separate issue from direct hiring. Direct hiring by the QCAA of ALL nationalities is, was and as far as I understand it , will continue to be on-going, including South Africans and if they are still interested, any FAA controllers. This never changed, even during the period that Serco was asked to provide those five controllers. I also remember quite clearly at the time answering many e-mails stating that direct hiring was open to all ..... ALL .... nationalities.

The last time Serco "had" the Doha (Qatar) contract was in '88, as IAL.

In reference to the age restriction, it is dealt with case by case.

Review every available option with discernment and be aware of the break-down of remuneration packages. There is a trend toward the "All-In" remuneration of late being offered. Known by many as a 'lump' sum. This ...'Lump Sum' as a figure may look at the outset attractive. This is where the questions should start to kick in ....

From what information I have garnered ... most then start with this "Lump Sum' and the deduction process starts ... Housing - Schooling - Air Tickets Home etc, etc. There is one or two stations that do NOT provide any gratuity at ALL. With housing, normally the landlords will either ask you to pay for the entire year upfront .... OR ... ask for a series of post-dated cheques. Ask in particular about maintenance issues and your expected level of responsibility in reference to this. Do not forget about utilities ... is it included in the rent or extra .... ??? ... all very very interesting questions.

Obviously once completed with this process you will then make your decision. Congratulations!! ... enjoy your new career ..., or adventure.

A little post script ... something I have noticed over the years. Those that dump on Doha the most whilst here ... stating just how awful the place is and wakkawakkadingdong put-more-powder-on-my-botty-please!! ... then resign and claim, "Never shall I return" ............................................................ .................................
.......................................Guess who is first in the queue about prospects of returning!?! ..... Yup ..... Mr or Mrs Botty Needs Powder!!! People make mistakes and err, we all do. This is no way belittles the ability of those that wish to return, irrespective of behaviour prior. However, as a trend, you cannot but wonder as to the motivations of all that incessant moaning and groaning, whinging and whining prior to leaving, .... if you are then so willing to return. It seems to invalidate it completely and place in question the credibility of anything further to be uttered by that person on return. We all have the absolute right to complain if service conditions are NOT being met as per contract ... however, just flapping your lips to cool your gums every time there is someone within earshot on a topic you essentially have on loop .... aah ... well ..... expiration date and all that??!!

Be discerning and ask the difficult questions. You might just find that despite all the naysayers, Doha does not square up so badly. If in your book it doesn't suit you ... and as I read someone state somewhere earlier .... falls short of 90 or 95% of the rest of the world/developed world or those that have been there too long don't know of any better (oh, that incidentally is in all liklihood aimed at me, if so ... fine ... if not, equally fine) .... well then, go with your informed choice ... Ah ... there it is again .... keeps on popping its crazy little head up .... choice!!!

Last edited by CuitoCuanavale; 19th Oct 2014 at 01:15.