PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - e Gates Passport checks
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 21:00
Kiltrash

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
e Gates Passport checks

At the risk of ridicule can I ask the collective thoughts at e Gate passport checks at UK Airports

I have the missfortune to fly through London Airports on Business often to & from EU and I find the process at other countrys Airports simple, swift and efficient to have a gun toting Border guard in a glass booth look up and agree the person in front of them is the pasport holder

A different story at London Airports

Having renewed the passport 18 months ago only once have I gained admission through the UK e gates, even though the supplied passport photograph was checked by a Policeman before submitting to the Passport Agency. So it is definatly ME!!!

and its not just me that is refused entry as e gates, I estimate 10% of their 'customers' are re directed to a manual desk, and then allowed through, on a one to one

The question for considderation, Is it the Border Agency staff not being able to match the photopraph on the passport with the person in the booth transmitted to their TV screen the trouble with the system, or that as they have 6 booths under their control ( to reduce manning levels)and they need to refuse admittance, (to show they are doing their jobs) or a revolt by the staff to ensure the expected staff savings prommised by the e gates does not happen?

Incomming