PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 18th Oct 2014, 19:08
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
When I joined my company my type rating consisted of seven sessions plus a check ride. I commented that there was a lot to learn in the time available, the instructor told me he had watched it come down over the years from 14 sessions and a check. During this time new SOP's had been added that needed training. I'm not sure how many sessions new hires get now. So why did the number of sessions reduce? Is it because the calibre of recruits has steadily increased and less time is required to meet the airlines high standards? We all know that several non-pilots sat around a table and discussed how they can compete with the ever intensifying competition and decided their was some fat in the training department. The cuts were made, safety played second fiddle to competition, and the savings were passed on to Joe Public in the form of $39 one way fares to wherever.
Where does it stop? The way the system works it will only stop when legislation changes so that all companies are equally effected and the cost of training is passed on to Joe Public through a $41 one way fare to wherever. Until the regs change mandating certain basic flying training, it won't happen and we will see more and more instances of pilots unable to pilot as the skills leave the airline through retirement.
I think Rat5 that your idea of back to basics is part one of the solution, parts two three and four will be needed to ensure the skills remain.