PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 14:08
Keke Napep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Despite reports that Hassan Tukur, who represented our government in negotiations with Boko Haram have reached an agreement, I am very sceptical . There have been a lot of reports in the news about a supposed ceasefire agreement between our government and Boko Haram and that this will lead to the release of the 200+ schoolgirls kidnapped in Chibok. However, until such time as I see them free, I have a lot of doubts that this is anything other than a cynical ploy to enhance GLJ's bid for another term as president. Even if they are released, I doubt we'll ever know the true terms of their release. It will probably involve huge sums of money being transferred (although this will be vehemently denied by our politicians ) and BH will have a lot more arms to renew their campaign

Major General Chris Olukolade says their release is still being negotiated and Mike Omeri, security spokesman for the government, says that no deal to release the girls had been reached. The military have made many announcements which have proven untrue, that I'll believe nothing they say until it is proven by facts and actions. Ralph Bello-Fadile, an adviser to the national security adviser, says that negotiations have been complicated by fraudsters claiming to represent Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau.

Boko Haram expert Shehu Sani, who has represented the Nigerian government in previous negotiations with the group, said he had "never heard" of Danladi Ahmadu, the man who claimed to represent the militants in the talks.
In an interview broadcast yesterday, Ahmadu claimed to be Boko Haram's "chief security officer" and in charge of publicity for the group. He did not mention any potential ceasefire and even claimed not to have met Shekau.