PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else suffer regular GPS failures?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2003, 20:22
skydriller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr Garmin 196 problems...

I have a new Garmin 196, and I think its the dogs doo-dahs....but...

1. I changed the batteries in it for the first time the other day, and during the subsequent flight the damn thing kept switching itself off all by itself, just as someone earlier mentioned. When back on the ground and after a little investigation of the problem I discovered the new batteries (unlike the old ones) could move slightly within their slots so as to break contacts. The aircrafts vibration must have caused this to happen & it to stop working occasionally. I inserted a 5mm thick piece of foam between the removable back and the batteries, padding it like this prevented battery movement and it has since worked fine - obviously not all makes of batteries are exactly the same dimensions.

2. I recently downloaded the latest Garmin 196 software update, unfortunately the airspace is glaringly wrong just where I happen to live. The controlled airspace changed around Bordeaux in mid March, the Jeppesen Map of France shows the correct airspace arrangement, but despite waiting until the beginning of this month before downloading, the download still had the old airspace... but how come if the Jepp map was correct?!?!

Regards, SD.