PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 18th Oct 2014, 05:32
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi framer, from my post -

they are not trained correctly, or...... Or a combination of all of those things.
You will notice I said not trained correctly as well as including the other issues & also that there can be a combination of the various reasons.

The reality is that people have got lazy & think they can have a cool job
The word I left out was 'some' in front of people. I am not saying that every one is in this category, but I have come across more than my fair share of them over the years, particularly the recent years.

From your post -

You say it's because they are lazy or lack airmanship
No, I say that these are two of the reasons. Two that, among others, have no real excuse.

Lack of training is the real big issue here. Cost pressures have mean that we now have a situation where training is now cut down to a price, where it ideally should be built up to a standard. The back stop for this has always been the professional pride taken by the pilot workforce in general, that has individuals doing the extra curricular work & reading & study in order to reach the high standard that was required. A lot of pilots, both young & old still have this approach to the job, but I do feel I am seeing more & more of those who do not. The training departments don't seem to require it anymore & that may be largely a reflection of management attitude.

Being an airline pilot was something that most of those with an interest in, & a love of, aviation aspired to. These days it sometimes seems that not many hold the job in that high a regard. In some cases it is simply a case of a good return on investment over the years, coupled with the mind-set that they have a god given right to the job, while putting in as little work as possible.

Most people seem to believe that all pilots are adequately trained & are highly motivated to do the best that they possibly can when on the job. Maybe I'm just getting jaded, but unfortunately I just don't subscribe to that position anymore.

the 777 into the sea wall would never have occurred if you were the PF
Maybe, maybe not. I like to think not. However, I am just an average Joe & just as fallible as others. The thing is, my professional pride means I go to work each time with the intent of executing the perfect flight. I have never achieved it, but I still try. And I still get quite annoyed with myself over all the little errors & slips that occur. I still read as widely as I can & try to take lessons from all the accident reports that I manage to read. And I find it frustrating that as I age I get a little slower & make some silly mistakes on occasions. Mistakes that I would never have made in my younger years. So when I have a young guy sitting beside me who just doesn't give a damn, I get frustrated & annoyed. Frustrated & annoyed that he/she is not giving me the support that I should be able to expect; frustrated & annoyed that they seem to be more interested in one-up-manship than just doing their job; frustrated & annoyed that they put me & everyone on board at a slightly higher level of risk due to their attitude. And then I get concerned at just what the future holds for aviation.

It's not everyone by a long shot, but the percentage seems to be increasing as the years go by. Some of my flying buddies & I joke that when we retire we will only feel safe travelling by ship. That or just stay home. The trouble is that it is becoming less & less of a joke & more & more of a serious consideration.

Last edited by Oakape; 18th Oct 2014 at 05:45.