PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secondary Schools in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2014, 04:15
Vortex Thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Ladies & gentlemen apologies the post was written in my haste to go swimming. The spelling was terrible and I was a touch embarrassed on rereading this morning before heading off to work.

However the sentiment is still easily proveable. Jack D you will please note that I did not say it wasn't possible. I did state that you would need exceptionally bright children. You clearly have those, lucky you! And well played them. However it is as always a case of the exception rather than the rule.

Some children wherever you put them will succeed, think Billy Elliot/Slum Dog Millionaire style stories. Do Richard Branson, Alan Sugar et al prove me wrong. No they prove that it is not a black and white science. No one said life was!

Just look through FTSE 100, parliament and the defence of the realm at the top players online. 75% of our captains of industry and CEOs or senior post holders came from the same alma mater and schools that do not offer IB.

The child's happiness is important but secondary to thier success. You can leave them Montesorri style to discover what they need at their own pace and make them a well rounded person but isn't that the job of parenting versus schooling or you can put them in an environ where they, like most, become the average of thier peers and by choosing an easier path you give them choices in life that may otherwise have been denied to them.

I'm not saying the IB doesn't do a good job of educating. I am saying that statsically should you be targetting the level I am talking of then A levels are a more sure route and if your child is outstanding it will make no difference at worst but if they are a little below that then it may make all the difference.

Personally I would and will in our case board them in UK as I think that the senior schools in Dubai just can't do what we get at home.

Good luck! VT