PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 20:23
Romeo Oscar Golf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny, I was there 7 years later and clearly nothing had changed. I recognise and remember (with much embarrasment) all you have described.....except the wall papering bit which I thoroughly enjoyed and put to good use (including papering a very cracked ceiling).
I was on terminal (did we really use that word) leave for my course and had long hair, beard and was determined to "shock" the plummy Ruperts in their Regimental Mess. I arrived fully kitted in leathers on my newish 500cc Honda, and headed for the reception desk to check in. En-route I was stopped by one of the plummy Ruperts and thought I'd got a bite already.
"Nice kit pal" he said "I saw you drive in just now...nice wheels......" and he went on enthusiastically. What soon to be retired numbskull aircrew mate had failed to log, was that Catterick was the home of the Army motorcycle Team (whitecaps?) and this guy was the team leader. Needless to say I had a great time there and my education re Army Officers was revised. The Teams admin manager was pretty good too, but thats another story.