PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 20:22
CAPSLOCK.1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And yeah, most of the guys leave for greener pastures when they get close to the magic 1k number.
Ahhh, no not really hey. Just at the smallest operations. And the foreigners.

As for me, I didn't give it much time, I found that most companies didn't want someone who wanted to grow with the companies, or who had experience, or just liked the country (and it is very beautiful) they want people who will stay because they can't get a job in their home country.
You see, this is where you are pitifully mistaken. Most companies do want someone who can grow with the company and they do want some one with experience. You are right, they don't want someone who "just likes the country."

They don't want people who will stay because they can't get a job in their home country, no one wants those people. Unfortunately they resort to coming here, then get pissed off and troll the internet when it turns out some of the companies here actually do have standards.

I'd say the only mistake I made was not heading directly over with my hours.
The other mistake was not heading over when everyone here suggested that is what you do.

Ah, yes, another mistake might have been giving advice on manners one of the company owners on Facebook, then immediately sucking up once you realised she was the owner. Very transparent.

Why would you invest in a company who doesn't invest in you?
Did you maybe realise that maybe the companies didn't want to invest in you because you came across as a cocky American with the attitude that we don't have our collective together?

Anyway, the point I am trying to make is this; to anyone reading these threads, don't take what any one poster says at face value, there are always motivations and agendas behind the scenes.

Yes there are companies that use and abuse their pilots, but there are also companies that take care of their crew. Like anywhere they are some bad apples.

I wouldn't suggest taking any advice from people who make broad sweeping statements like "the problem with Africa is it's run by Africans". Scorn like this reeks of a singed ego, and not constructive advice.

Last edited by CAPSLOCK.1; 17th Oct 2014 at 20:33.