PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar (Doha) ATC for new Airport
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 19:51
Btrbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried...

This is interesting reading all the posts on this topic. When I decided I wanted a change after 28 years of working in the FAA, Doha is the first position I applied for. However, I was not considered because I have an FAA license, not an ICAO. Doesn't matter that I worked at 2 of the top 7 busiest airports in the world (traffic movements, not passenger), those being DFW and IAH. I was told in no uncertain terms that Americans and South Africans need not apply. Wanna know why Serco couldn't get people to go? It was NOT because of the package, it was because the Qatari government wanted "young male Heathrow controllers".

I personally know 2 people that went to work at Doha... one resigned, one was asked to leave early after it was discovered he was leaving for another job anyway. They both had their reasons, but the package offered was not the biggest factor.

I wish you guys in Doha the very best... and I am sorry I am not there to help. But until the Qatari government decides to expand the pool they are willing to hire from, I am afraid you guys are stuck.