PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crop Spraying
Thread: Crop Spraying
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 18:05
Dennis Kenyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crop spraying & Spreading

Mainly for 2054 way back in 2012 .... My apologies if the Dennis was the one for me as I haven't looked into this thread for a while. Even if not, the following may help.

Oddly enough, I've just returned from the SA Air Force Base at Waterkloof where I was tasked to display MD's 530F alongside the Enstrom 480B. Had a fab week flying three or four times a day for the period of the show for over 100,000 spectators I'm told. The local MD/ENSTROM distributor, Safomar PTY has also purchased an FX crop spraying version for local Ag work.

Some of the 'oldies' here will know that my firm of Spoonair Ag services operated three Enstrom Turbo models in the role giving us a chemical lift of 650lbs or whatever the EU guys call it these days. We used the Agrinautics wet and dry gear which gave a 30 foot swath width or 36 feet with the approved boom extensions. The dry gear dispersal was via a rotary impeller from a Vicon hopper. Using mostly New Zealand pilots and an Aussie, we averaged 120 acres an hour per aircraft, which at £4 an acre was decent money in those days. (1980s)

I have an old 30 minute film of our equipment calibration work and subsequent spraying and spreading which is now on DVD and I'll be happy to produce the odd DVD copy for potential users. I've asked this before, but if Dave Cook is still on the site, please make contact as my SA customer has a pilot/instructor requirement for the Pretoria area.

And for any interested in seeing the MD 530F display, a couple of the Waterkloof videos are now on You Tube along with my Enstrom 480B gentle ladylike display. Or just dial up my name to view the list.

Take care all and just to say this particular COF is still a flyin.' Dennis K.