PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackpool Airport
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 17:56
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's hardly the airports fault about the fences.
I didn't say it was. I cited it as an example of how it's becoming more a 'big' airport and less an informal GA field

And being able to get a card to let you in and out and not have to go through a security checkpoint is pretty good actually. And quite GA friendly in my view.
They don't give 'em away! They're a few hundred quid. Why aren't they more like a fiver, which would cover issue cost?

Fuelling was another problem getting worse. We'd instruct the handlers to have the aeroplane out on the apron 8:00am. The fuellers came round about 9 to 9:30 and filled up all the club aeroplanes and ours (Chippys always need fuel - they have tiny tanks). I'd turn up for a two hour slot for some aeros and a strip landing or two and find the tanks empty. By the time I'd got hold of fuel it wasn't worth flying!

It all adds up to a pretty negative and expensive experience. So.....

Only because there few places left in the Northwest to base an aircraft, I would give up flying rather than be based at Liverpool.
Funny you should say that.

Liverpool ATC were super, slotting GA in. But as for the rest of it, the distinct impression was that someone in management really didn't want us doing this GA stuff.

Anyone know of an LAA Cub share going, on a farm strip in the area?