PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Volotea Second Officer
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2014, 14:54
OhNoCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know where you are coming from. I used to hate coming to this website when I was trying because the doom and gloom was depressing, and I don't wish to be another doom monger. I appreciate that chances are sparse and luck plays a unfairly large part.

At the same time though, whilst everyone needs to recognise that you can't expect to be overwhelmed by job opportunities after you finish a lovely sponsored training scheme, it important not to completely sell yourself short. Yes it's likely that you will accept a job that isn't as good as what people were taking in the 90s, but at the same time - don't be a catalyst. This Volotea deal to me sounds truly awful, paying probably a thousands euros all in to be interviewed, then another nearly 30k on top of that all to be paid very little to fly (not very much) a type that is of course a jet, but is very unlikely to be a useful TYPE (not talking experience here) when it comes to seeking further opportunities.

At the exact moment we chosed to become a pilot, we agree unvoluntary with this system, so for the next 10 years we will not able to change the system!
The sad thing about this is that it's only conditionally true. If every looked at schemes like this (and plenty others) and said no that's rubbish I won't apply for it, then things would change. Unfortunately people are always willing to throw more money at this, get themselves further into debt (or their parents) just to 'get experience'.