PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 17th Oct 2014, 12:20
beardy

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
I'll let history and just a small amount imagination do my job.
Facts, not biased interpretation please. Unbiased, objective studies not self selected reports of when it goes wrong. What is happening when it goes right and what is the relationship, both as a fraction and causality between the two.

Do cease trying to be a misplaced journalist and stick to thread. Opinion, rumour, fact, all part of this excellent forum and we are all fully entitled to express as we wish.
I want to separate opinion and rumour from fact. Its not journalism its a scientific analytical approach devoid of emotion.

FYI I currently fly 4 different types, one of which is Airbus. "Click, click" and you have an aircraft which feels like a conventional aircraft with thrust levers that can supply thrust according to their position, as you should know. I am not sure Landflap is quite aware, from his comments he doesn't seem to be.

Much is made of whether their is an endemic handling problem and if it exists whether it contributed to this incident. I am not sure there is one, but I could be wrong and am willing to be proven wrong; repetition and shouting is not proof. I don't believe that the Airbus/Boeing debate has any place in this incident, each is different and each has it's own procedures neither of which was used in this incident.

This crew did not perform to the acceptable standards they had demonstrated in the past; they knew what to do, but didn't do it. Why has to be addressed. The starting point should be to confirm that the procedure had been taught and that they understood and had practiced it not too long ago for it to be no more than a distant memory. If that is confirmed (which I believe to be the case) then Human Factors need to be examined. Was the teaching adequate was practice recent? Was a Go Around briefed? If so, adequately? If all of that seems to be in order, what got in the way? Distraction? Fixation? Overload? Fatigue? Stress? I don't believe that these have been properly addressed, I do believe that they are important.