PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Darwin ATC. Nothing to see here, move along
Old 17th Oct 2014, 06:17
Jethrogibbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I said how bad some these people are. Not all are that bad, in fact some are very good controllers. The facts speak for themselves though I am afraid. Some of the biggest and closest LOS events in the past ten years in ASA have have been by ex RAAF controllers. I put it down to three things.

1: Their initial training as RAAF controllers is not up to standard.

2: They have a culture in the operational environment in the RAAF of having a senior controller watching over them and giving advice, so when they cross to ASA their perceived safety net no longer exists in a lot of cases.

3: They only do tower and approach in the RAAF, so when they cross over to ASA the ones that go to enroute have nil experience in that type of ATC. I remember an instructor in the ASA college many years ago telling me that he would rather teach a person with no ATC experience at all then an ex RAAF controller because the ex RAAF controller already was a product of bad culture and training where as the new person was a clean slate.

The RAAF ATC school and ATC bases need a big fat broom put through them quick smart, before we are talking about more then bad controllers and as a previous post said, maybe an alliance between the ASA school and RAAF school would be a good thing.