PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you risk money going "Professional" CPL/ME/IR/JOC with a Restricted Medical....
Old 16th Oct 2014, 19:41
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@thisismyusername

You may be able to get an FAA licence without a restriction following a successful flight test. I have an EASA Class 1 with an OML but my FAA Class 1 is unrestricted (it has a Statement Of Demonstrated Ability or "SODA" attached to it). An FAA licence might be OK if you wanted to work in Asia.
Prior to getting my EASA Medical and some years back I took an FAA Class 1 Medical - which also required a Medical Flight Test. But I settled on the hope that I might be better off with trying to go the "EASA" way.

I suppose I could now get a SODA by taking a check ride and a flight test? The last time I checked it was a 3 month notice period to the FSDO.

I don't think your FTO contact has got it right. You can instruct ab-initio as a PPL with a Class 2 medical - don't know about your medical but mine gives me unrestricted Class 2 privileges. I suspect (s)he's also wrong about Aerial Work - if you are being paid you need a Class 1 so you couldn't do it single pilot.
I have Unrestricted Class 2 - I'm confused about this part - I can instruct on my Class 2 Medical for PPL ONLY AND BE PAID FOR IT?

Is that statement correct??

Regarding Aerial Work - Photography as he put it - He said in normal instances the "Photographer" is ALSO CREW and not a PAX - therefore you can be paid because most aerial work is 2 crew...

Not sure how true that is.

CAP 804 - Pages 462 - 466 - Table 1 and Table 2 - Do not really shed any light on the matter!

Last edited by Scoobster; 17th Oct 2014 at 10:10.