PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2014, 16:14
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by mad_jock
Blanking the ASI helps as it gets the student focused on attitude instead of airspeed
Near the end of the PPL I get the student to fly a takeoff, circuit and landing with the ASI covered. It is never a big deal as I have emphasized setting the attitude by observing the natural horizon through the windshield, and the Attitude + Power = Performance relationships; from the very first lesson. I highly recommend that students ask there instructor to allow them to do the same exercise on one of the late PPL dual exercises.

Re stall/spin: IMO the most important "click" is recognizing the fact the airplane is about to enter slow flight by tactile and visual clues and automatically and without thinking, correct the situation.

To get into an inadvertent spin you have to be stupid times 3

Stupid times 1 = Allowing the aircraft to get into inadvertent slow flight and not recovering into the normal flight regime

Stupid times 2 = Allowing the airspeed to continue to decay enough to allow the aircraft to stall

Stupid times 3 = After the aircraft has stalled allowing the aircraft to yaw

The bottom line is simple, pay attention to what the airplane is doing and if it is not doing what you want then fix it. Fly the airplane don't let it fly you

Disclaimer

My comments are intended for pilots flying one of the common Cessna/Piper trainers like the OP and I suspect the vast majority of the people reading this thread. If you are flying a high performance and/or unusual handling aircraft then additional precautions are required.