PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you risk money going "Professional" CPL/ME/IR/JOC with a Restricted Medical....
Old 16th Oct 2014, 12:00
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got recent experience dealing with the CAA on this subject.

I’d been flying for around 15 years, and held a class 1 for about 3 years. I’d been job hunting for about a year or so after finishing my training (CPL/MEIR/JOC/MCC) when the CAA pulled my medical completely for nearly 8 months - I couldn’t even fly on a PPL. After 1000s of pounds worth of medical tests I eventually got handed the OML medical back.

Shortly afterwards, I stopped pursuing the flying career. And I kind of wish it had happened before I spent 40k on training.

My thoughts:

1. The industry is competitive enough without having a restricted medical which most people don’t have. I'd been job hunting before the OML restriction and it was tough.

In reality, it probably wouldn’t matter to airline interviewers/testers/trainers that you have an OML, its more likely to be simple HR selection criteria/terminology which stops you applying i.e. the term “Unrestricted Class 1 Medical” is put on the advert rather than just “Class 1”.

So IF a job does come up you cant even apply.

2. The industry is unstable enough without the additional prospect of the losing your licence over CAA medical red tape. I had a real battle with the CAA who wouldnt budge - even with leading experts contradicting them.

The airline industry is extremely unstable, the risk of reduncancy is high, and having seen how easy it is to lose the licence at the whim of the CAA, it’s not an industry I’d be comfortable starting out it with an OML.

Also, I know of someone with an OML about to start their FI course at a big FTO in southern England with a view to instructing at CPL level.
Yes they can instruct. But they'll be instructing on their PPL.

Class 1 OML means you must be multicrew to operate on your CPL. A student or pax does not count as crew. (That's direct from the CAA).

MEIR is fine as it’s a rating which has nothing to do with your class 1 medical. You can do this on a PPL.

Good luck….