PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dublin: 2 x RYR in contact during taxi. Both damaged.
Old 16th Oct 2014, 09:37
Uplinker

Received 114 Likes on 70 Posts
I generally agree with most of the last two posts.

SKY: imagine if road transport was directed by an agency using radios. Instead of giving way, at a T junction or roundabout, vehicles would have to wait and get clearance, one by one to proceed, and the other traffic would have to be told (and read back) instructions to give way. It would be chaos and unworkable. I just wonder now that the airfield traffic density is so high whether ATC still needs to direct every single part of every single traffic movement, or whether some junctions could be made 'automatic', by the use of 'Give Way' signs or traffic sensing traffic lights etc.

Simpler is better in my book, and being given a machine gun taxi clearance as we are still exiting the runway and I as PNF am going through after landing flows and checklists, and doing single engine stuff as well as writing the clearance down, looking on the taxi chart and keeping PF right - is not conducive to safe operations ! Whereas, "Join Zulu and hold at X-Ray 3" where 'Zulu' takes you all the way to the apron entrance via two 'Give Way' junctions and is drawn as such on the chart, is easy to remember, read back and follow.

AS: Cameras on wing tips. Absolutely, why not? I always have a heart-in-the-mouth feeling as I watch the wingtip of the A330 and hope I am right when I tell the Captain that it is going to clear - Not easy to tell with the perspective and it being so far back

Night time ops might be tricky though, because you might need lighting for the camera, and of course ANYTHING to do with aeroplanes has not one but two zeros added to the price !

Last edited by Uplinker; 18th Oct 2014 at 11:01.