PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2014, 09:23
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ASI is "in most GA light aircraft" the only tool in the box other than the pilots own knowledge/experience/feel. When we discuss stalling at fr instance in this case, different angles of bank at the same weight & balance configuration, it is pointless stating that at straight and level the aircraft will stall at 17.5 deg, however at 45 deg of bank it will stall at 17.5 deg, on the other hand if the bank angle is increased to 75 deg then it will stall at 17.5 deg.
To attempt to do the calculation as the aircraft is actually stalling, working out the effect of all the variables to arrive at what? A SPEED.
Oh dear again....

This is precisely the sort of arse-backwards thinking about stalling that I'm banging on about.

YOU DO NOT DO A CALCULATION! You have an awareness of what the aeroplane is doing regarding the AoA of the wing, and you fly the wing using attitude, and if neccessary if you push it to the limit, subtle pre-departure clues, which trigger subconscious reactions to reduce AoA (and remove any yaw).

YOU DO NOT ARRIVE AT A SPEED!
The ASI is NOT a reliable anti-stall device as should be plain by now to anyone who has read the posts on here.

However, when an instuctor is teaching a student he will of neccesity use the term 'stall speed' and teach the student not to fly the approach below a certain speed as 'there be dragons'! He does this because there's no way an ab initio student will have the experience to avoid high AoA, and certainly won't have in his toolbox the recognition of pre-departure clues, and the auto-reactions to prevent such departure. So he is taught by rote; by numbers. This is (I think) unavoidable.

However, when we 'grow up' as pilots we should ditch that, as well as ditching stuff like flying circuits the way a PPL is taught ("at this point on base reduce power to x, extend X flap, trim for X speed etc") and just make the aeroplane do what we want it to. Without even thinking about it. It becomes an extension of the pilot's body.

That is, I think, what is meant in this thread by 'Click'. Once it has 'Clicked' with a pilot, he chucks out the baby stuff he was of necessity fed at PPL, and flies like an aviator!

Oh, and :

Go to a gliding club & learn to actually fly.
I started my flying as a glider pilot. I do remember one gristled old instructor, frustrated at trying to teach basic flying techniques in the limited time between cable launch and landing (in a Ka4) saying "these people should get a PPL so they'll know how to fly before they take up gliding!".