PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 12
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2014, 07:26
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OG
That being said, it seems to me that such a function would fill what BOAC is looking for rather well, and I can't see any particular reason or difficulty to prevent it.
- agreed, but if I may make a plea - while this thread is about 447, it should really be expanded to cover all instances of autotrim which have caused numerous LOC incidents. It appears that we can no longer expect pilots to monitor airspeed (where available) nor to monitor aircraft attitude, so something surely needs to stop HAL or whatever we choose to call the system from trimming to absurdity. Again, a 'stop' at a sensible limit with a 'conscious' over-ride option for when the horses in the hold break loose would do it, would it not? The bonus is that we don't need any 'sophisticated' software with its inherent traps to do it - a simple position transducer triggering a switch with a 're-close' button would be fine.

WRT Airbus in particular, rrat at post #818 with an 'AND' switch is the answer plus inhibition of autotrim in ALL modes following the subsequent stall warning, and this should go a long way to helping those are not skilled pilots.

Not forgetting, of course, for all types, a seismic shift in training policies.