PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel rating for a Turbulent
View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2014, 06:46
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by FleetFlyer
Hi, and congrats on entering the world of aircraft ownership. I fly an LAA administered tail dragger also and its the only way to arrive.

I've flown a tailwheel Thruster and its just too easy, you simply don't need any instruction to be safe in one of those.
Having checked quite a few people out on a syndicate TST I tend to disagree with you.

I also recall the LAA coach* who managed to total a TST some years ago the first time he tried to instruct on it, leading to the LAA quite rightly banning its coaches from instructing on BMAA microlights and telling it's members to use microlight instructors on BMAA microlights.

That said, I have a Condor, which is basically a 2-seat Turbulent, and it flies absolutely nothing like a Thruster. So, I'd still agree that a Thruster is the wrong trainer here. It's a fair point that the Tiger Club are probably the experts in how to learn to fly a Turbulent safely.

G

* Said coach I suspect had no microlight time and an excessive faith in his own abilities. Hopefully one or both of those have been fixed by now.

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 16th Oct 2014 at 07:03.