PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Phoenix Think Tank
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 23:49
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
CM - unless he is a very good actor and accomplished dissembler, I think it's fair to say that 1SL does not buy into the underlying 'the RAF must be destroyed' rationale that the Phoenix Think Tank seems to possess. It should be noted that his predecessor as 1SL was less than impressed with the PTT as well.

The speech was on the RN website, and a pdf version of it can be found on the FAA Officers' Association website here

The PTT appears to credit the speech to the Maritime Engineers Review, which - if you look at the PTT page - seems to have carried it in abridged form.

Whether any copyright of the speech has been breached by either the FAAOA or the Maritime Engineers Review is not clear since the RN webpage has gone along with any note about copyright/fair use/attribution.

AIUI, the MoD isn't fussed if speeches which are given in open fora and which, after all, are meant to engage with the public or sections thereof are reproduced, although they do like a credit. I imagine that 1SL - as a WAFU (who is neither W or FU) - would not be too upset for the speech to have been disseminated more widely either. In truth, I don't think that its appearance on the PTT site represents anything more sinister than the PTT attempting to add content.

I do imagine, from what I have seen and heard from him, that 1SL would be upset if the PTT attempted in any way, shape or form, to suggest that he bought into the ideas that some of its bloggers seem to have about what should be done with the RAF, though.

We need, I think, to note that the issue is one of vocal dinosaurs churning out much vitriol while most - but not all - of the RN (aviators or not) I have met regard them with feelings that range from bemusement to distaste, since all they're interested in is working alongside their light blue colleagues and making things work.

Sadly, there is no internet comet around to kill off the aforementioned dinosaurs...