PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel rating for a Turbulent
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 23:03
Old skool Alex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi congratulations on your purchase! I'm a relitavely low hour ppl with around 85 hours total time, about 60 of those in 172's.
Last month I started flying the turbulent myself and so far racked up a colossal 4 hours on them! Before that I did my tailwheel differences training on a cub and did about 12 hours on that and then about half an hour in a friends cap10 to get a feel for a more "responsive" aircraft.Before my first flight I got a brief from an experienced turb pilot, got someone to swing the prop and off I went. Spent about half an hour getting a feel for it in the local area and practised some stalling/slow flight at a suitable height and then went back to the airfield for a few circuits and landed with a silly smile on my face.Personally I found that my time on the cub and a short session on a more responsive aircraft was more than enough,
In my very short time flying the turb I find it a very fun aircraft to fly, a few usefull points I find are to keep an eye on your speed especialy when on final approach as it can bleed off easily and doesn't have a lot of momentum to gain speed and 'unstall'.Also on take off and landing it doesn't need much rudder input to keep strait compared to the cub and also seems to handle crosswinds very well compared to other larger aircraft.
Hope this helps,I'm sure an experienced Turb pilot will come along and give you some more pointers.
All the breast!
.A