PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beyond credulity.
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2003, 13:08
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Beyond credulity.

After a very uncomfortable flight as a passenger LGW –DFW We missed the connection despite assurances that there would be ample time. I hate being a passenger, but what happened next astonished me.

Our baggage had been claimed in the normal way on arrival at Dallas, and went through customs. It was then re-checked by security. I was surprised that we had access to it after they were re-scanned, when we were not certain to be on the same aircraft.

I was variously assured that it was legal for bags to fly without their owners on an interline flight, and by a different person, that it was not possible for the bags to fly without us. “they are routinely pulled (off the aircraft) when the passengers do not make the connection.” I questioned in no uncertain terms, how this could be done in time, when they could not delay the flight for passengers that had crossed the airport in record time. There was never a clear answer.

Another statement that I found astonishing was that it is not so important now, since terrorists are such fanatics that they accompany their bags knowing that they will be killed. The point that she was making seemed to be, that the rule of PAX flying with their bags simply had no validity in the new era of terrorism. This of course is nonsense. We clearly have to deal with fanatics and the other types of people that are a potential danger to aircraft.

It occurred to me afterwards, that my hold baggage contained numerous electrical items. The extraordinary images that must have shown up on the X-ray screen were never questioned.

What we finally are left with is that 4 large items of hold baggage definitely flew Dallas to Austin without their owners, while containing various computer leads and accessories, plastic boxes with printed circuits, batteries and coiled up wires!

Just what is the point of the daily nonsense that we go through ( as operating crew ) when this can happen?