PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 22:39
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. Let us assume that numerous pilots rely on the ASI to keep them alive. Fine. But and it is a big but. The ASI is "in most GA light aircraft" the only tool in the box other than the pilots own knowledge/experience/feel. When we discuss stalling at fr instance in this case, different angles of bank at the same weight & balance configuration, it is pointless stating that at straight and level the aircraft will stall at 17.5 deg, however at 45 deg of bank it will stall at 17.5 deg, on the other hand if the bank angle is increased to 75 deg then it will stall at 17.5 deg.
To attempt to do the calculation as the aircraft is actually stalling, working out the effect of all the variables to arrive at what? A SPEED. Absolutely impossible, unless I have seriously misjudged the superhuman Spock like mathematical genius of the average competent pilot.
So I think to be sensible can we just agree, as I always have agreed, that the ASI is no more than a guide to be used with reference to all the other variables, visual cues, airframe feel etc?
I too flew gliders, I also stalled a K13 at 80 knots, my Emeraude stalls at (God help me) 40 knots straight & level clean, though I've managed to fly it at 35. I don't profess to be an expert, all I'm trying to do is use what we all have, an ASI.
Yes I agree it is all angle of attack, I have known this fact for a long long time, please, please, for the love of God please do not keep reminding me, I KNOW.

I also agree with the training thing as well. The instructor who has barely spun the thing himself wants to get it over with as quick as possible, the current system of only doing the "incipient" bit, recover from the stall at the first bleep of the warner. I went to do stalls once (ex 10a/b?). Arrived at the area, stall warner not working, exercise cancelled, full stop!
The K13 didn't have a stall warner, nor did the K6E, nor does the Emeraude. Unless you include the stick shaker, highly sophisticated piece of 1959 technology.
Sad thing to be afraid of the stall, far far better to understand it properly.
Go to a gliding club & learn to actually fly.