PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 22:08
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stall awareness and "clicking"

I always assumed that was what every qualified pilot did anyway?
To quote Wikipedia:

The accident was investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), with a final report issued on February 2, 2010. The NTSB determined that the accident was caused by the pilots' inability to respond properly to the stall warnings.
Too many times, I have been right seat to a "qualified" pilot who did recognize that they were approaching a stall, either imminently, or the extension of the necessary flight path (too low and slow on final, for example).

Do you think the training is wrong?
I certainly think that some training is very inadequate in this regard.

stalling in a turn is now my number one fear and it'll always be there in the back of my mind at every turn
A new pilot has apparently learned to be scared of stalling in a turn, and thus, by extension, turns themselves. That is a training failure.

Instead the training should be teaching increasing alertness, progressing to alarm when AoA is increasing, and speed or inertia are decreasing at the same time. The ONLY way to meaningfully teach this is to demonstrate then mentor it during training, while preventing it from being perceived as a meaningless head spinning roller coaster. In that case, the student get no value in training, just a scare.

Instructors: Your training stalls and spins, and approach to these, should allow as much time as possible to elapse start to recovery, with meaningful patter appropriately throughout. The blindingly fast "Watch this..." and flish flash it's all done, leaves students unaware and afraid, rather than working toward getting. Let them see what happens, so they learn, and one day click....