PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel rating for a Turbulent
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 21:33
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks to all for the useful responses. I think I've seen Bob doing air displays so may well venture in that direction.
"What are your plans for the aircraft? You planing on flying in the calm of the evening in the local area or hour building in all the conditions the aircraft could handle?"
I'm still at a stage where I'm not certain what sort of flying is for me. I know the Turbulent's not a 'going-places' type of aircraft but I hope to venture a little further afield than I could justify in the C172 I've been renting hitherto, and also to get comfortable with a taildragger/tailwheel and see where that takes me.

I'm not hour-building for the sake of a commercial license, but I do want to explore the envelope (within the boundaries of sanity and safety). I know the Turbulent is no more an Aerobat than the 172, but what I do know is that I enjoy 'handling'. Most of my flights have a few stalls and spiral descents and maybe a mild bunt or two. Almost every landing is a pfl with a big sideslip and my most enjoyable flight of the year was the first ever one that made me airsick - practicing crosswind landings on a very gusty day."

"How many hours a year do you expect to do?"
I get a day off from work/babysitting every month. I'd envisage doing a few legs of perhaps 2 hours each to an aircraft museum or sightseeing. I'd love to visit the lakes from the air. I'd like to look for white horses in the South of England. So I'm guessing 40-50.

"Are you based on hard for Grass?"
I am currently based at Welshpool which has a grass strip - I fear a little narrow for my liking - and a hard runway. The LAA inspector has suggested replacing the wheel with a skid because he felt it was a bit marginal. I'll be moving on in about 10 months - I don't yet know where.