PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 21:01
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are no visual cues and stalls under g will be sharper so less warning from the airframe.
Exactly! There are ONLY tactile clues, what the airframe is telling you by the way it, and the controls feel. It is a failing, if a pilot is depending only on the indicated airspeed for stall awareness. Firstly because an error or failing of the airspeed indicator will result in the pilot being clueless. Worse, if the pilot is so single minded about a speed being the primary factor in a stall, they will wrongly think that increasing speed will prevent or recover a stall.

Increasing speed might prevent a stall, but it takes time, and is uncertain. Reducing AoA is an instant effect based upon pilot action (instinctive, I hope). I can stall and unstall an aircraft without changing the airspeed at all. I can fly most airplanes in steady flight slower than their published airspeed. Also recall that when the speed at which a stall can be expected is determined, it is expressed as CAS rather than the indicated IAS. Are pilots who are approaching the stall pulling out the position error correction table from section 5 of the Flight Manual to determine the correction for the stall "speed" as they approach a stall?

So, based upon the foregoing series of posts, I now think it important to define a precise and effective understanding of all things stall and AoA as a "click" point for a new pilot. You have not clicked, until you are very conversant with these factors, and your instinctive reaction to approach to unintended stall is to instantly reduce AoA and prevent yaw.