PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So when does it all click?
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 19:25
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear....

how do those pundits of the AofA tell me when I am getting close to the stall? I'll tell you - it's called an ASI and it works extremely well!
Good luck with that. I've stalled a Yak 52 at 160 kts IAS, and flown many aeroplanes at an IAS off the bottom of the clock, with no stall. So have millions of other pilots.

WE KNOW THERE iS NO SUCH THING AS STALL BLOODY SPEED, ONLY ANGLE OF ATTACK.
SO WHY PERSIST IN USING THE WRONG BLEEDIN NOMENCLATURE ?

but in GA weight variation is generally so small it makes bugger all difference
Two words; wing loading. Can make a hell of a difference.

Bottom line is it doesn't matter a hoot what you call it, but it matters a hell of a lot that you understand what's going on. It seems from some posts on here and historically on aviation forums when the shouting of "PEDANT!" and other derision such as "pundits of AoA" greets a statement of fact, that quite few do not really know what's going on, and worse, they think it just doesn't matter - the ASI will do it OK for them!

Well, I direct you back to pilots who will instinctively react correctly to an aeroplane in a base-to-final turn, perhaps over-ruddered, about to depart due excessive AoA, and those react not at all, or incorrectly, and who will die. Do the instinctive ones have a model in their heads of stall speed, or of AoA?

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 15th Oct 2014 at 20:10.