PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stapleford PPL training
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 17:40
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam, I know this is all very exciting, you feel both proud and important, but do not get carried away with it and try "dressing up".
The most important thing to consider(and you should already know, if you have studied the forums enough-use the search function for newbie advice- DO NOT WEAR MAN-MADE TEXTILES.
Even a Poly-Cotton shirt can melt and stick to your skin.....read about high-vis jackets and you'll know that not only will they melt onto you, but they are a static-generator....AFAIK. there has never been a refuelling fire caused by one, but the possibility is there....that's why the aircraft is bonded to ground for refuelling....the fuel flowing and splashing can cause static.....no, I've never seen any grounding in petrol-stations, either, but I know road-vehicle tyres are conductive!

Pure cotton and real wool will both smoulder...they both absorb and dissipate sweat better than synthetics.
Jeans (Cotton) are fine but get stiff and heavy in a drizzly walk-out / round...cotton trousers are better.
NO! don't even consider a flying-suit! do not try to "look the part" you will just look a total pratt.
I think it was on this forum, Genghis the Engineer, or another respected Member, advised new students to buy an ordinary clipboard from a supermarket, the same with set-square, ruler,pens etc. you can get perfectly adequate gear at a massive saving to the stuff sold "specially for Pilots"...don't get suckered and conned. there are lots who consider flying is for the rich and spendthrift types, so they do their best to grab as muchof that cash as they are able.

You should be able to fly evenings when the days lengthen again, School finishes ~3.30? 15 minutes to Airfield(you said) book for 4.30!
it should be doable!.