PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas cook b757 incident, what a total mess
Old 15th Oct 2014, 13:20
Uplinker

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Problem as I see it is the training and lack of practice of the manoeuver.

In the SIM, every 6 months, we do one all-engine GA, and one with failed critical engine(s).

That's usually it. We are expecting it* and it's usually flown 'near enough' for the tick in the box. If it is not, the instructor will say that they are just positioning you back to 4 miles to 'see it again' The second attempt will almost always be a pass.

However, the same 'competancy' applied to the end of a long day/night with low - but legal - fuel, and an unexpected* event in the real sky with real passengers (instead of a SIM in which you cannot die or even crash), can in some cases reveal shortcomings. The ATC Go-around command and the automation issue is a total red herring, but the type change in this case has relevance in that possibly the Commander reverted to previous type.

I think that critical manoeuvres such as this should be properly practised. Not just once or twice, but over and over, so it becomes a motor memory and refined and absolutely clear in the mind.

Otherwise, we are just going backwards. Despite all the lessons learnt by crashes over the years, we are taking less and less fuel, and less contingency fuel. And training is becoming less and less about basic flying and more about the latest SOP change or whim of the training departments. Training Captains often have so much new stuff to get through that there isn't time to make absolutely sure about pilot's basic skills, as long as they pass.

Also in the SIM, it is a very artificial environment. ATC is very restrained - you are the ONLY aircraft on frequency. There are no helicopters transiting the threshold ahead of you. PNF has not had to talk to company, or the handling agents. You have not been turned in tight or been left hot and high by ATC. You have not been told to keep the speed up or slow to minimum approach speed while they get one away ahead of you. You don't have the beep beep beep distraction of the cabin secure call. The visuals are usually not very good. I have never had rain or turbulence on approach in the SIM.

*Of course we should all expect the unexpected, but sometimes we don't. In view of this TC incident and my own experience, I am going to make an effort now to brief the actual go-around actions and selections, pitches, speeds etc that I will make in the event of a Go-around and those of the PNF, rather than just saying 'ahead to 3000 feet accelerate and then turn east' or whatever. I appeal to my fellow pilots not to glaze over when I do this, but to pay full attention.

(In case there is any confusion, I am nothing whatsoever to do with the incident under discussion !)

Last edited by Uplinker; 15th Oct 2014 at 13:41.