PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From LAA to CofA
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2014, 10:55
Steevo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have really enjoyed my permit aircraft over the time I have had it and would consider another one that is bigger with a larger useable load. As was said, these tend to be very expensive although much cheaper running costs.

I mentioned the 172 purely because I have a fair bit of experience with Cessna aircraft and the purchase costs can be reasonable even for a very good one. If I was sure that an average annual was only going to be £2k-£3k then I would jump at the chance but my issue is the worry that the bill could be substantially more than that. With my permit aircraft I cannot really get any surprise bills that make me worry because if something drastic goes wrong, there isn't much that I cannot either fix my self or get parts for a lot of it from my local high street automotive shop.

About the most expensive bill I could get for my aircraft would be if the engine went beyond repair and even then I can get a nearly new one for £6k. I have just had my engine overhauled and upgraded and the total cost was under £2k.

My aircraft actually goes faster than a Cessna 172 and uses around 14l/h and has a climb rate substantially better than a Cessna. But even with all of that I still feel that the Cessna has a better and more solid feel with a greater carrying capability. I just wished these were available on permit.

I decided long ago that I didn't want to do this as a syndicate as I like to make my own decisions about the aircraft and know how it has been flown so if I did go Cessna or the like, it would be as a sole owner. Hence the concern over surprise bills.