PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Instruments Vs Car Instruments and readability
Old 15th Oct 2014, 10:04
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with steam gauges or altimeters for that matter. It's just what you get used to. Glass cockpits, Garmin 1000's and the like look too cluttered to me. There's a whole shipload of information on them that you don't really need when flying VFR, plus, and this is a very important plus, with a steam gauge and pointer you don't read what the pointer says, you look at it's position. You know what it is supposed to look like when everything is normal. This is where glass falls down IMO. Too much stuff in too much detail.

Any time with your head in the cockpit when flying VFR is bad, you need to glance and that should be enough. There seems to be a tendency to make light aircraft look like mini airliners these days and I think a lot of it is to make light aircraft pilots feel that they are flying a mini airliner. What it does is make pilots fiddle with the toys instead of having eyes out of the cockpit. They are still in a SEP probably with an engine that was designed 70 years ago. It's not an A380. Just my opinion obviously.

Flying an IFR approach in bad weather is a different ball game obviously and the instruments you need are right there in front of your eyes where they should be.

Aircraft are aircraft and cars are cars, both with different needs in terms of instrumentation.